Friday, 18 August 2017

Barcelona and Cambrils attacks: Race against time to find van driver as death toll rises to 14

Spanish police are in a race against time to find the van driver who ploughed into a crowd in Barcelona, after five terrorists wearing fake suicide belts who rammed civilians with a car in a second attack were shot dead.   

One woman died and six other people, including a police officer, were injured in the seaside town of Cambrils - hours after a rampaging van driver left 13 people dead and more than 100 wounded around 70 miles away in Barcelona.   



A seven-year-old British boy is among those missing following the Las Ramblas rampage, which Prime Minister Threresa May said left a "small number" of Britons injured.   

Dramatic video footage has emerged of one of the Cambrils terrorists, who taunted and smiled at police, being repeatedly shot in a scene described by witnesses as being like "watching a horror film".

 Police sources have named the suspected Barcelona van driver they are hunting as 18-year-old Moussa Oukabir. He is suspected of using his brother's documents to rent the van that mowed down people on the famous boulevard.   

 Investigators revealed that a 12-strong terror cell thought to have been behind the two Spanish attacks is believed to have been planning an atrocity with gas canisters. 


Moussa Oukabir, 18, is being hunted as the suspected van driver
In Cambrils, holidaymakers ran for their lives as gunfire broke out close to the beachfront promenade early on Friday. A British tourist told how families and residents were ordered to take cover as bullets tore through the air.

The attackers' Audi A3 overturned and the men were fired upon by police when they got out. At least one was brandishing a knife. Police said the attackers had been wearing explosive belts, which experts later concluded were fake.


Investigators are working on the theory that the attacks in Cambrils and Barcelona are linked to a gas explosion at a house in the town of Alcanar on Wednesday that killed one person.

Police officers by the upturned car used to target civilians in a second terrorist attack in Cambrils early on Friday Credit: LLUIS GENE/AFP
The second arrested man, a Spanish national from Melilla, has not been named. The third person, who was arrested in the Spanish city of Ripoll on Friday morning, is believed to be an associate of Oukabir.

The third arrested man could have been the driver of a car that drove into a police checkpoint on Thursday night, investigators believe. A fourth person was arrested, also in Ripoll, on Friday, police confirmed. Moussa is believed to still be unaccounted for.

The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant has claimed responsibility for the attack, the deadliest on Spanish soil since more than 190 people died in the Madrid train bombs in 2004.

Stay with us for the latest updates.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...